July is the time to reflect on your garden and add, remove or change things around. Here is what we recommend for Bearded Iris care:
- Divide crowded Iris beds and replant (every 3-4 years)
- Rebloomers: divide and transplant every year or two for better results
- When transplanting, apply bone meal and/or superphosphate to help give the plants a healthy start in their new location
- Prepare soil for new beds
- Plant new rhizomes
- When planting new shoots from divided clumps, label your Iris with weather-proof plant markers. Perhaps create a map of your garden beds to help identify your Iris year to year.
- Keep Iris beds free of weeds.